Download PDF: The Imaan Pharaoh_s Wife
It is mentioned that the wife of Pharaoh, namely Sayyidah Aasiyah Radi Allahu ‘Anha, had kept her acceptance of Imaan a secret. However, when Pharaoh came to know about this, he commanded her to return to his religion. She refused to listen to him. When Pharaoh saw her reaction, he became extremely angry and ordered that she be punished using different methods. Finally, she was nailed to a stake. In spite of this, she remained steadfast in her faith. As a matter of fact, she declared, “Even though, you may have captured by body, but my heart is in the Divine Protection of Allah Almighty. Even if you tore my body to pieces, still too, I will only increase in Imaan.”
One day Nabi Moosa Peace be upon him passed by and she asked him, “O Prophet of Allah! Please inform me. Is my Creator pleased with me or not?”
Nabi Moosa Peace be upon him replied, “O Aasiyah! In fact the Angels of the Heavens await your arrival and Allah Almighty has also displayed His Divine Pleasure in front of them as well. Therefore, you should ask for whatever you wish.”
She then made Du’a in the Divine Court of Allah Almighty, “O my Lord! Please establish a house for me Jannah and save me from the oppression of Pharaoh and his people.”
Hadrat Sayyiduna Salman Farsi Radi Allahu ‘Anhu narrates that Pharaoh used to punish her by leaving her in the hot burning sun. When Pharaoh used to go away, the Angels used to cover her with their wings and she used to also see her house in Jannah while she was in this world.
Hadrat Sayyiduna Hasan Radi Allahu ‘Anhu narrates that, “Allah Almighty saved her and has given her a great status in Jannah and she is able to go anywhere in Jannah and eat and drink anything.” (Makaashifatul Qulub, 90)
This also proves to us that our eminent Muslims of the past endured many trials and tribulations in the path of Islam, but they never uttered any words of complain or allowed themselves to lose hope. As matter of fact, as the trial and tribulation increased, so much so, their steadfastness and firmness in Islam continued to become stronger. Hoping for the Divine Pleasure of Allah Almighty and the reward of the Hereafter, they used to consider these trials and tribulations as minor irritations.
In today’s world, we are very lucky that we are born in Muslim homes and in an Islamic environment. However, in the face of Western culture, Muslims are still threatened on a daily basis. Muslim in the West are slowly losing their faith in Islam and are daily becoming victims of Western culture.
There is no doubt that the story of Sayydah Aasiyah Radi Allahu ‘Anha is a very good example for Muslim sisters and an example of how to remain steadfast and firm on Islam. They should bear in mind that all of these tests and trials are from Allah Almighty and they should never allow themselves to be swayed through the misguidance of others. If one continues to remain firm on Imaan, then one will also be able to make Du’a like Sayyidah Aasiyah Radi Allahu ‘Anha.
Allah Almighty declares in Surah Muhammad, verse 7:
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡۤا اِنۡ تَنۡصُرُوا اللہَ یَنۡصُرْکُمْ وَ یُثَبِّتْ اَقْدَامَکُمْ ﴿۷﴾
‘O believers! If you will help the religion of Allah, Allah will help you and will make your feet firm.
If the Muslim sisters of the present age are able to display the same type of steadfastness and firmness, then they will also become symbols for other Muslim sisters.
We present a few Ahadith, which have been extracted from “Kanzul Ummaal,” with the hope of further encouraging our Muslim sisters.
- It is mentioned that once the Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him declared to some females, “Are you not happy that when you become pregnant and your husband is pleased with you, then such reward is given as if someone is keeping fast in the Path of Allah Almighty and (the same reward) as that person who spends the entire night in Ibadah. And at the same time, the pain which is experienced at birth carries such reward which is unknown to the all those in the heavens and earth. As much milk is fed to the child, for every droplet, they will be given reward as if one had to stay awake during the night. Then the reward is similar to freeing seventy slaves in the path of Allah Almighty.”
Note: This Hadith Shareef clearly informs us about the dangers of making the husband angry without any valid reason, or if a wife leaves abandons the child. Since she feels embarrassment and inconvenience, she decides to feed the child power milk instead. Certainly, females who behave in this manner are severely warned of their actions.
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated, “Allah Almighty is pleased with that female whose husband is also pleased with her. She is also someone who protects herself against a stranger”.
Note: This should be dire warning to those females who laugh and joke with strangers and do not think anything about.
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated, “The best of wives is that wife towards whom when the husband looks, he is pleased and when he commands her to do something, then she is obedient. She is also someone who does not displeases the command of the husband in matters pertaining to life and property.”
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him that the female who performs her housework is in the same status as that person who is in Jihad.
Note: This is also a lesson and advice for those Muslim sisters who run away from these important duties.
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated that, “A female who is pregnant and from that moment until she gives birth and until the child is born, (in reward and status), she is like one who is ever ready protecting the border of a Muslim country and if during this period she passes away, then she will receive Thawaab equal to that of a Martyr.”
Note: Pertaining to this important aspect of protection, the Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated that, “To tie one’s horse on the border in the Path of Allah Almighty is better (in reward) than the entire world and whatever is in it.” (Bukhari Shareef)
The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has also stated that to protect the border of a Muslim country for one day and night is better than one month of fasting and standing in Salaah. (Muslim Shareef)
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated that, “When a female feeds her child milk then for every droplet she gets reward as if she has slaughtered a live animal. The two years later when she lets the baby leave the milk, then an Angel declares, ‘All your past sins have been pardoned and whatever you in the future this will count as new (deeds and acts).’”
Note: This should be a lesson for those females who continue to give their children powder milk and other such types of artificial milk. They do not get the same reward as this.
- The Holy Prophet May Allah send peace and blessings upon him has stated that, “O females! Bear in mind that those among you who are pious, they would enter Jannah before the pious men and when their husband enters Jannah, they will be bathed and fragrance will be placed on them and reddish yellowish horses will be given to them. They will have such children who will be like pearls.”