Download PDF: [S] To Speak Loudly in a Masjid
One is strictly prohibited from speaking loudly in a Masjid or to make unnecessary noise in the Masjid. One needs to refrain from this evil habit because there are many Ahadith which prohibit this action.
- Hadrat Sayyiduna Hasan Basri – may Allah be pleased with him – reports a Hadith Shareef in which Sayyiduna Rasoolullah – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – has stated that, “There will come a time when people will speak of wordily issues in a Masjid. You should not sit with these people because Allah Almighty has no need for such people.” (Mishkaat Shareef)
- Another hadith explains that speaking about worldly issues in a Masjid consumes good deeds as a domestic animal consumes grass. (Ihya ul Ulum)
- Hadrat Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah – may Allah be pleased with him – narrates that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – has stated that, “When you see people selling something in a Masjid or purchasing something in a Masjid then you people should declare, ‘may Allah give you no profit in your business.’ And if you find someone searching for something in the Masjid in a loud voice then you people should say, ‘may Allah make it such that you do not find what you are looking for.’” (At Targeeb)
- Hadrat Sayyiduna Saa’ib bin Yazeed – may Allah be pleased with him – narrates that he was once resting in the Masjid when someone threw some pebbles at him. When he raised his head, he noticed that it was Hadrat Sayyiduna ‘Umar – may Allah be pleased with him. He said to me, “Go and call those two people to me”. I then called the two people to him. He asked them, “Where are you people from?” They replied that they were from Taif. He declared, “If both of you were from Madina Shareef, then I would have punished you to such a degree that you would have fell unconscious. You people are speaking so loudly in the Masjid of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him?” (Mishkaat Shareef)
- Hadrat Sayyiduna Imam Malik – may Allah be pleased with him – narrates that Ameerul Mo’mineen, Hadrat Sayyiduna ‘Umar – may Allah be pleased with him – had a special area outside the Masjid which people referred to as “Bateehah”. He had also mentioned that whoever wanted to speak loudly should do so in this area. (Mishkaat Shareef)
Leave a comment