Download PDF: [S] The Five Commands of Nabi Yahya
In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed – may Allah be pleased with him, the Holy Prophet – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – is reported to have stated that, “Allah Almighty gave Nabi Yahya – peace be upon him – the command of five issues and He also instructed that the Bani Israel should practise on this. It was near for them to forget about these things when Nabi Yahya – peace be upon him – reminded them of their responsibility. They were commanded to remain steadfast on this and also command others to obey these laws. Nabi Yahya – peace be upon him – had also mentioned to them that if they forget about these issues, very soon they would be destroyed or swallowed up by the earth. He then gathered them in the Baitul Muqaddas, he sat on a high place and began to praise Allah Almighty. He then said to them, ‘I have been commanded to inform you of five actions which are also performed by me and I command you to perform. They are:
- The first is to worship Allah Almighty and do not create partners with Him. The similitude of this is like a person who has purchased a slave and this slave works for him but the fruits of his labour is given to someone else. Will any of you be happy if his slave behaves in this manner? In like manner, Your Creator gives you sustenance. Your True Owner is Allah Almighty Who has no partners. Therefore, only worship Him and no one else.
- The second is to perform the Salaah. Allah Almighty is able to see His servants. He should not look to all sides in Salaah. Therefore, when you read the Salaah, do not turn your attention to this or that side.
- The third command is to keep the fast. The example of this person is like someone who keeps fragrance in a container and because of this the sweet smell pervades the mind of all those around him. Bear in mind that Allah Almighty loves the smell emanating from the mouth of someone who is fasting more than the fragrance of Musk.
- The fourth command is to continue giving charity. The example of this is like when a person has been captured by his enemy and his neck is fastened to his neck. When he is being taken away so that he can be beheaded, at that moment, the person mentions that his executioner can accept a ransom from him and set him free. Thereafter, what is given, whether little of more, he is able to free himself.
- The fifth command is to increase in making the Dhikr of Allah Almighty. The example of this is like a man who is being chased by his enemies and he escapes into a strong fort and achieves protection and safety. In like manner, a person is saved when he is making the Dhikr of Allah Almighty.
The five commands of the Holy Prophet – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him.
After mentioning these points, the Holy Prophet – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him –stated, “Now I am also giving you five orders which Allah Almighty has commanded me with. Hold fast to the Jamaah (or the majority). Obey the commands of the person who has been nominated by Allah Almighty, His Prophet and the Muslims. One should undertake migration and perform Jihad. If a person separates himself from the Jamaah, then it is as if he has removed a rope of Islam from around his neck. Yes, it is different if he comes back. That person who insists on the ways of Jahaalat, he will be part of Hell.” The people asked, “O Prophet of Allah, even though he reads Salaah and keeps fast?” The Holy Prophet – may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him –replied, “Even if he reads Salaah and keeps fast and considers himself a Muslim. One should address the Muslims with the title which Allah Almighty has given to them such as Muslimeen, Mo’mineen and Ibaadullah”. (Sunan Tirmidhi, Ibn Habban, etc)