Download PDF: Shawwaal – The 10th Month of Islamic Calendar
Shawwaal is considered as a very blessed month in Islam. The early Arabs used to go out on expeditions and travel and leave their homes in this month. The first day of this month is the day of Eidul Fitr which is also known as “Yaumur Rahmah”.
- On this day also, the Almighty azza wa jall sends immense blessing on the Muslims.
- It is also on this day that the Almighty azza wa jall commanded the bees to make honey.
- On this day, the Almighty azza wa jall created Jannah.
- On this day, the tree of Tuba was created.
- On this day, the Almighty azza wa jall assigned Jibraeel Ameen to the task of delivering Divine Revelation.
- On this day, the magicians in the court of Pharaoh made repented.
(Ghunyatut Taalibeen. 2/18)
- On the 6th day of this month, the Holy Prophet peace be upon him came out with his family to face the Christians of Najraan in a Mubaahala which was an oath to the death.
- On the 17th of this month, the battle of Uhud began in which Sayyidus Shuhadaah, Hadrat Sayyiduna Ameer Hamza May Allah have mercy on him was martyred.
- From the 25th of the month until the end of this month, was considered a period of reckoning for the people of ‘Aad and it was in this period that they were annihilated and destroyed through the Divine Punishment which came to them.
(Ajaa’ibul Makhluqaat. 46)
This is the month which appears just before the month of Zil Hijjah, is called “Shahrul Fitr” as well. As we have already mentioned, the first day of this month is Eidul Fitr and it is that special day on which the Almighty azza wa jall pardons and forgives the Muslims.
In the hadith shareef, it is mentioned that when the day of Eid arrives Muslims are paid in full (for their ibaadah). The Almighty azza wa jall declares, “O Angels! My servants both male and female have completed and fulfilled that which was necessary to be fulfilled. They have left for the Eid ghah and call out in dua. I swear by My Divine Grace, Divine Power and Divine Magnificent, I will accept their dua. He then declares, “O my servants, return, I have pardoned you. I have changed your transgression into good deeds.” The Holy Prophet peace be upon him has also stated that, “The people return in such a state that they are pardoned.”
(Mishkaat shareef. 183)
What should be done on the day of Eid
Among the deeds which are considered as Mustahab or recommended on this day are:
- One should trim one’s hair.
- One should clip one’s nails.
- One should take a bath.
- One should use the Miswaak.
- One should wear new clothes. If he does not have new clothes, he should wear old clothes making sure that they have been washed.
- One should wear one’s ring.
- One should use fragrance or Ittar.
- One should perform the Fajr Salah in the local Masjid.
- One should leave quickly to Eid ghah or Masjid.
- Before the Eid Salah, one should give his Sadqatul Fitr which is the valued equivalent to the market price of 2.5 kg of flour.
- One should walk towards the masjid or Eid ghah if it is not very far.
- One should return via another route.
- One should eat a few dates before leaving for the Masjid or Eid ghah. These should be in odd numbers such as one, three or five etc.
- If one does not have dates, one can have some other sweets.
- If one does not eat anything before the Eid Salah, one does not become a sinner. However, it is recommended that one eats something. However, if one does not eat anything until the Esha Salah, then one would be considered a sinner (due to have been fasting on the day of Eid which is not allowed in Shariah).
Hadrat Sayyiduna Anas May Allah have mercy on him narrates that the Holy Prophet peace be upon him should not go towards the Eid ghah on the day of Eid, until he ate some dates. He used to eat odd number of dates.
(Bukhari shareef. Mishkaat shareef. 126)
- One should visibly display one’s happiness on this day.
- One should give extra charity.
- One should walk towards the Eid ghah or Masjid with modesty and dignity.
- It is also Mustahab to greet everyone.
(Durre Mukhtaar, Raddul Muhtaar)
Important points to bear in mind
It is considered as Makruh to read any nafil Salah before Eid Salah whether this be in his house or in the Masjid or whether Eid Salah is waajib on him at that time or not. Even if a woman wishes to read her Chaasht Salah at home, she should wait for the Eid Salah to be completed. After the Eid Salah, it is also Makruh to read any Nafil in the Eid ghah, one should read these nawafil at one’s home.
Six fasts of Shawwaal
There is immense reward in keeping the six fast of Shawwal. One who keeps the complete fasts in Ramadan and the six fasts of Shawwal, it is as if he has kept fast the entire year. In other words, he will get the reward for keeping fast the entire year. Hadrat Sayyiduna Abu Ayyyb Ansari May Allah have mercy on him narrates that the Holy Prophet peace be upon him has stated that, “One who keeps the fasts of Ramadan and then also keeps the six fasts of Shawwaal is like he has kept fast his entire life.”
(Sahih Bukhari shareef, Sahih Muslim shareef, Mishkat shareef. 179)
This is applicable to that person who has done this his entire life. In other words, every year during his life time, he kept the six fasts of Shawwal after keeping all the fasts of Ramadan. If, however, he has only done this for one year, then he would be rewarded for that year only. In the same manner, he can keep these fasts all together or separately during the month of Shawwaal. It is also recommended that he keeps them separately. In other words, he should keep the six fasts on different days. This is according to the Hanafi mazhab.
The Nafil in Shawwal
In the hadith shareef, it is mentioned that a person who reads four rakah of nafil after the Eid Salah in his house either on the day of Eid or on the first night, in which, after the Surah Fatiha, he reads Surah Ikhas 21 times, the Almighty azza wa jall will open the eight doors of Jannah for him. The Almighty azza wa jall will also close the seven doors of hell for that person. He will also not die until he does not see his place in Jannah.
Another report tells us that a person should read eight rakah of salah any time in the month of Shawwal. In each rakah, after the Surah Fatiha, he should read Surah Ikhlaas 25 times. After salam, he should read, “SubhaanAllah” seventy times and then this Durood shareef seventy times:
اَللّٰہُمَّ صَلِّ عَلٰی مُحَمَّدِ نِالنَّبِیِّ الْاُمِّیِّ وَعَلٰی اٰلِہٖ وَ اَصْحَابِہٖ وَبَارِکْ وَسَلِّمْ۞
The Almighty azza wa jall through this will open for this person the doors of Mercy and Wisdom. A large mansion will be created for him in Jannah which no one else will get. The Almighty azza wa jall will also fulfil seventy needs of this person in this world.