Download PDF: [S] The Remarkable Honey Bee
In Arabic, the Honey Bee is called “Nahl”. Almighty azza wajal has actually revealed a Surah with this specific name which is known as Surah Nahl.
In this Surah, the various benefit of the Honey Bee, its advantages, etc. are mentioned. It certainly is something which should be carefully studied. The Honey Bee also has a very special position among the insect world. It has certain unique characteristics which we will explain.
- The Honey Bee has a very regimental and extremely strong comb and base which resembles a very organized government, and that too a very modern government. It is such a perfectly controlled environment which sees no fasaad and fitnah.
- They have thousands of members and one single ruler. The ruler, as we all know, is much bigger than the rest of the community. Every member of this community lives under the supreme control of this one single leader who is called “Yasub.”
- The leader is in charge of delegating duties to each member of the community. Some are in charge of building the comb which is designed in an especially unique style. This six-sided hole is so strong that engineers have only recently understood its actual unique strong quality. All of their shapes are the same size which includes its length, its height and its depth.
- Some Honey Bees, as per the instructions of the leader, lay eggs. Some prepare the honey comb. Some bring water. Some are in charge of security. It is not possible for a Honey Bee from another community to enter this space.
- Honey Bees are involved in brining nectar from all types of plants and sometimes even fruits. They travel many miles away from the actual centre to bring back this nectar. Yet, they never seem to forget their way back to the centre. It is as if they have some invisible radar or built in navigator that guides them in reaching the same centre.
- They return with different types of nectar which have many flavours and colour.
- Honey Bees build their centres or their combs in whatever place they choose, whether it be in the mountains, in caves, in holes and even in the ceiling of people’s homes.
- As for those bees which are guilty of creating problems within their community, they are appropriately punished by Yasub and some are even killed. In brief, all the bees are directly under the control of the leader. No bee ever sits on dirt or impure items. If they ever do so, it is said that this specific bee is severely punished and sometimes even expelled from the community.
Explaining the benefit and Khutbah of these Honey Bees, the Almighty azza wajal declares in Surah Nahl, 68, 69:
وَ اَوْحٰی رَبُّکَ اِلَی النَّحْلِ اَنِ اتَّخِذِیۡ مِنَ الْجِبَالِ بُیُوۡتًا وَّمِنَ الشَّجَرِ وَمِمَّا یَعْرِشُوۡنَ ﴿ۙ۶۸﴾
ثُمَّ کُلِیۡ مِنۡ کُلِّ الثَّمَرٰتِ فَاسْلُکِیۡ سُبُلَ رَبِّکِ ذُلُلًا ؕ یَخْرُجُ مِنۡۢ بُطُوۡنِہَا شَرَابٌ مُّخْتَلِفٌ اَلْوٰنُہٗ فِیۡہِ شِفَآءٌ لِّلنَّاسِ ؕ اِنَّ فِیۡ ذٰلِکَ لَاٰیَۃً لِّقَوْمٍ یَّتَفَکَّرُوۡنَ ﴿۶۹﴾
“And your Lord inspired the bee that makes houses in the hills and in the trees and in the roofs. Then eat of every kind of fruit, and walk the ways of your Lord that is smooth and easy for you. There comes out from their bellies a drink of varied colours in which there is healing for the people Undoubtedly, in it there is sign for those who ponder.”
The Almighty azza wajal has made honey extremely beneficial for many diseases and illnesses. In some cases, the single use of honey is able to cure a certain ailment. In some instances, the honey is mixed with another medication and proves beneficial. This is seen with the amount of medication which has been made using honey, etc. It is also found in medication which is able to help certain abdominal ailments.
At the same time, a Muslim believes that the reason honey contains benefit is because the Holy Qur’an has clearly acknowledged the fact that in this, “there is healing” for people. (Gharaa’ibul Qur’an, Abdul Mustafa Azimi)
Leave a comment