Download PDF: Riyaadus Saaliheen – Hadith #8 (Who is a True Mujaahid)
Who is a true Mujaahid (someone who fights for a just cause)?
عَنْ أَبِیْ مُوْسٰی عَبْدِاللہِ بْنِ قَیْسِ الْاَشْعَرِیِّ رَضِیَ اللہُ عَنْہُ قَالَ:’’ سُئِلَ رَسُوْلُ اللہِ صَلَّی اللہُ عَلَیْہِ وَسَلَّمَ عَنِ الرَّجُلِ یُقَاتِلُ شُجَاعَۃً وَیُقَاتِلُ حَمِیَّۃً وَیُقَاتِلُ رِیَآئً أَیُّ ذَلِکَ فِی سَبِیْلِ اللہِ؟فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللہِ صَلَّی اللہُ عَلَیْہِ وَسَلَّمَ،مَنْ قَاتَلَ لِتَکُوْنَ کَلِمَۃُ اللہِ ہِیَ الْعُلْیَا فَہُوَ فِی سَبِیْلِ اللہِ۔‘‘مُتَّفَقٌ عَلَیْہِ
(بخاری ، کتاب التوحید باب قولہ تعالٰی ولقد سبقت کلمتنا لعبادنا المرسلین،۴/ ۵۶۱،حدیث:۷۴۵۸بتغیر قلیل)
Hadrat Sayyiduna Abu Moosa Abdullah bin Qais Ashari Radi Allahu ‘Anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet Sallal Laahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam was questioned,
“A person fights to display his bravery, another fights to display his honour and another fights merely as deception. Who among them is on the Path of Allah azza wajal?” He replied, “Whosoever fights with the purpose of elevating the Kalimah, that person is on the path of Allah azza wajal”. (Bukhari)
Good intention transforms action into good action
Allama Badrudeen Aini Alaihir Rahmah explains:
- The word Kalimah in this context means giving the message of Islam. Another opinion is that it means spreading the actual Kalimah of Islam.
- In every action or deed, sincerity is a pre-condition. Whosoever performs an act merely for worldly show and pomp, his actions are certainly wasted. However, if someone performs that same act with the purpose of uplifting Islam, then it is unanimously accepted that, that action is good and praiseworthy.
- The Mujaahid in this Hadith Shareef would signify that person who fights to elevate the status and respect of Islam.
- This Hadith Shareef also shows the precise and beautiful manner in which Sayyiduna Rasoolullah Sallal Laahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam answered the question. Instead of deviating from the actual question, he gave a precise answer which is “wholesome and complete”. In one single statement, the real and actual purpose of true Jihaad is summarized.
What is the true meaning of “Riyaa” or deceit?
Hujjatul Islam, Hadrat Sayyiduna Mohammed bin Mohammed Ghazzali Radi Allahu ‘Anhu explains, “The very foundation or basis of deceit is to perform noble or good deeds and to try and create a good impression in peoples mind for oneself. In other words, deceit is to please (or impress) people by worshipping Allah azza wajal”. (Ihya ul Uloom)
Three qualities of a deceitful person!
Hadrat Sayyiduna Ali Radi Allahu ‘Anhu has stated that, “There are three qualities or signs of deceit.
- When the person is alone, then he is lazy (in worshipping Allah azza wajal).
- When he is with people, he is always happy and ready to perform worship.
- When he is praised, he increases in worship and when he is scolded or insulted, he decreases in worshipping (Allah azza wajal). (Ihya ul Uloom)
To perform pious deeds with the intention of seeking people’s praise and admiration!
A person once asked Hadrat Sayyiduna Ubaadah bin Saamit Radi Allahu ‘Anhu, “If I perform Jihad in this manner wherein besides seeking the Divine Pleasure of Allah azza wajal I also strive to seek the admiration and praise of people. What do you think of something like this?” He replied, “You will not get anything (in return).” The person asked this same question thrice and three times, the eminent companion repeated the same answer. (Ihya ul Uloom)
Do not seek self-praise when doing good!
A person once asked Hadrat Sayyiduna Sa’eed bin Musayyib Radi Allahu ‘Anhu, “A person does good and wishes that he be praised and also wishes that he receives Divine reward as well.” He replied, “Do you wish to achieve the Divine Wrath of Allah azza wajal?” The person replied in the negative. He then advised, “When you perform any act or deed for Allah azza wajal then perform it only for Him.” (Ihya ul Uloom)
I only seek the possessor of the wealth and not wealth itself!
It is said that one day Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi threw a few pieces of precious stones in front of his officers and advised them to choose whatever they wished. Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi then continued walking. However, when he turned around to see what was happening, he saw that only his trusted advisor Ayyaz was following him. Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi inquired, “Ayyaz! You do not wish for any precious stones?” Ayyaz replied, “O respected King! Those who are seeking jewels and precious stones are busy seeking them. I do not wish for these precious stones and jewels. I only wish for the company of the person who owns these precious stones and jewels.”
Important points to bear in mind!
- No matter how good the action or deed is, if the intention is bad, there is no reward in this action. In fact, at times, even if a very good and noble act or deed is performed but the intention is bad, then this same act or deed becomes a curse upon the person. Such as performing Salaah etc. with the intention of showing people. This same Salaah would become your greatest curse!
- If one openly displays bravery in front of the disbelievers with the intention of pleasing Allah azza wajal, then this act itself becomes a form of Ibadah or worship.
- If one does Islamic work with the intention of seeking financial help or financial gain, there is no harm in this on condition that the intention is to do Islamic work or serve Islam. In fact, one should not even have the intention of seeking Paradise, but rather the intention of pleasing the Allah azza wajal. (Miraatul Manaajih)