Download PDF: Facts about The Bee
In Arabic, the bee is called “Nahl” and the Almighty azza wa jall has actually revealed a Surah with this specific name which is obviously known as Surah Nahl. Various benefit of the honey bee, its advantages etc are mentioned in this Surah. It certainly is something which should be carefully studied. It also has a very special position among the insect world. It has the following unique characteristics:
- It has a very regimental and extremely strong comb and base which resembles a very organized government, and that too, a very civilized one. It is such a perfectly controlled environment which sees no mismanagement and disruption.
- It has thousands of members and one single ruler. The ruler as we all know is much larger body than the rest of its community. Every member of this community lives under the supreme control of this one single leader who is called “Yasub”.
- The leader is in charge of delegating duties to each member of the community. Some are in charge of building the comb which is shaped in a special and unique manner. This hexagon shaped hole is also so strong that only recently engineers have understood its actual strength. All of their shapes are the same which includes its length, height and depth.
- Some, as per the instructions of the leader, lay eggs. some prepare the honey comb, some bring water, some are in charge of security and it is not possible for a bee from another community to enter this territory.
- They are involved in extracting and transporting nectar from all types of plants and at times, from fruits as well. They also travel many miles away from the actual centre to bring back this nectar. Yet, they never seem to forget their way back to the centre, as if they have some invisible radar or built-in navigator. They all report back to their centre.
- They also bring back different types of nectar which has many different flavours and colours.
- They also build their centres or their combs in whatever place they choose, whether it be mountains, caves, holes and even in the ceiling of people’s homes.
- As for those bees which become guilty of creating problems within their community, they are appropriately punished by Yasub and some are even executed. In brief, everyone is directly under the control of the leader. No bee ever sits on dirt or impure items and if ever they do so, it is said that this specific bee is severely punished and sometimes even expelled from the community.
In It There is Cure for Mankind:
When extoling the benefit and virtues of bees, the Almighty azza wa jall declares in Surah Nahl, 68, 69:
وَ اَوْحٰی رَبُّکَ اِلَی النَّحْلِ اَنِ اتَّخِذِیۡ مِنَ الْجِبَالِ بُیُوۡتًا وَّمِنَ الشَّجَرِ وَمِمَّا یَعْرِشُوۡنَ ﴿ۙ۶۸﴾
And your Lord inspired the bee that makes houses in the hills and in the trees and in the roofs.
ثُمَّ کُلِیۡ مِنۡ کُلِّ الثَّمَرٰتِ فَاسْلُکِیۡ سُبُلَ رَبِّکِ ذُلُلًا ؕ یَخْرُجُ مِنۡۢ بُطُوۡنِہَا شَرَابٌ مُّخْتَلِفٌ اَلْوٰنُہٗ فِیۡہِ شِفَآءٌ لِّلنَّاسِ ؕ اِنَّ فِیۡ ذٰلِکَ لَاٰیَۃً لِّقَوْمٍ یَّتَفَکَّرُوۡنَ ﴿۶۹﴾
Then eat of every kind of fruit, and walk the ways of your Lord that is smooth and easy for you. There comes out from their bellies a drink of varied colours in which there is cure for the people. Undoubtedly in it there is sign for those who ponder.
The Almighty azza wa jall has made honey extremely beneficial for many diseases and illnesses. In some cases, a single dose of honey is able to cure a certain ailment. In some instances, the honey is mixed with another medication and proves beneficial. This is seen with the amount of medication which has been made using honey etc. It is also found in medications that are able to help certain abdominal ailments. At the same time, a Muslim believes that the reason honey contains benefit is because the Holy Quran has clearly andorsed the fact that in this, “In it there is cure for mankind”.
(Gharaa’ibul Quran. Abdul Mustafa Azimi)