Download PDF: Significance of Camel in Islam
Characteristics of a Camel:
- It has gigantic body
- It can carry heavy loads and transport
- It is a very obedient animal
- Its back can easily accommodate passengers as well as their belongings etc. and the riders feel as if they were at home
Camel mentioned in Qur’an:
Allah azza wajal says in the Holy Qur’an:
اَفَلَا یَنۡظُرُوۡنَ اِلَی الْاِبِلِ کَیۡفَ خُلِقَتْ ﴿ٝ۱۷﴾
Do they not look at the camel, how created?
[Al-Ghaashiyah 88, Verse 17]
Hazrat Sa’eed Ibn Jubair Radi Allahu ‘Anhu narrated that once he saw Qaadi Shuraih Radi Allahu ‘Anhu travelling and asked him, “Where are you going?” He replied, “I am going to Kenasah (a village near Kufa).”
“What makes you go there?” asked Hazrat Sa’eed Ibn Jubair Radi Allahu ‘Anhu, to which Qaadi Shuraih Radi Allahu ‘Anhu replied, “I am going there to observe how Allah azza wajal created the camels.”
وَعَلَیۡہَا وَعَلَی الْفُلْکِ تُحْمَلُوۡنَ ﴿۲۲﴾٪
And upon them and on boat you are borne.
(Al-Mu’minoon 23, Verse 22)
لَاتَسُبُّوا الرِّیْحَ فَاِنَّھَا مِنْ نَّفْسِ الرَّحْمٰنِ
Do not swear the camels, for they are from Allah’s soul.
- Camels only mate once a year
- A she-camel’s pregnancy lasts for three years
- According to experts, camels are jealous creatures but they also have the virtuous qualities of being patient, humble and brave.
- They can feed on thorny grass and due to their digestive system being robust, they easily digest them yet they suffer to digest barley.
Shari’ah ruling pertaining to the camels’ meat:
Its permissibility is proven from Qur’an and Ijma’ (consensus), hence Allah azza wajal states:
اُحِلَّتْ لَکُمۡ بَہِیۡمَۃُ الۡاَنْعٰمِ
The animals who have no speaking power (Cattle) have been made lawful for you.
[Al-Ma’idah 5, Verse 1]
Although Hazrat Ya’qoob Alayhis Salaam had forbidden camels’ meat and milk upon himself but it was his personal opinion as a way of disciplining himself. He also stopped consuming the camel-meat and milk due to an ailment he had during his stay in a village. His title is “Israel” which is a Hebrew word.
Imam Ibn Zuhair says that:
- If the camels’ hair are burnt and applied on bleeding wounds, the bleeding will stop.
- Camel-meat increases masculinity and prevents tiredness after intercourse.